City Retreat City Retreat

Amsterdam Residential Bills - Supporting Serviced Apartments

James Evans • Mon, May 9, 2022

Amsterdam Residential Bills - Supporting Serviced Apartments

Registering at your serviced apartment

When you register for your monthly rental in Amsterdam, you may receive two personal residential taxes: water cleaning and drainage (waterschapsbelasting) and waste collection (Afvalstoffenheffing).

They usually charge you 12 months; you must claim it back if you only stay for part of the year.

You may qualify to be exempt from some or all of these taxes, depending on your circumstances.

To learn more, don't hesitate to contact them directly at:

  • WaterNet (waterschapsbelasting) : +31 889 39 4000.
  • Gemeente Amsterdam (Afvalstoffenheffing) : +31 20 624 1111.

Please also ensure you de-register when you leave the property and will get a rebate.

Amsterdam Residential Bills - Supporting Serviced Apartments

1. Afvalstoffenheffing

Afvalstoffenheffing translates to the 'Waste Levy'. What is a waste levy? It is a residential tax related to the costs of collecting and processing household waste. The municipality pays this tax from the waste levy. The amount you must pay for waste collection depends on your circumstances. The waste levy is part of the combined assessment.

2. Water Assessment Bill

Every resident pays for water authority tax not related to the property. When you register at your serviced apartment in Amsterdam, you receive your water authority tax assessment once a year, usually in January.

This tax helps the Public Water Authority Amstel, Gooi, and Vecht manage the water cycle. Waternet has a website that enables you to understand your assessment. This bill is usually sent to the person registered at the address the longest.

This bill covers the costs of 3 operations:

  • Water system charge
  • Water treatment charge
  • Pollution charge

More information is on the handy English page: Water Authority Tax.

You may be eligible for remission of your water authority tax. Apply here to request remission.